Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Just A Dream

Have you ever had the feeling where many things (either good or bad) happened so quickly that at the end of the day you wondered whether everything was real? I have experienced this for a few times but as far as I could remember,they were mainly because I felt totally exhausted after a long and busy day. Yet,today (or yesterday to be exact since it's 1.40am now),it was slightly distinctive from my previous experience.

A call from Sydney woke me up at 9am today. In a half-asleep state,I answered the call and was not paying full attention to her.

"Hi,may I speak to Yan?"..."How are you?"..."This is Jessica"...."Institute of Chartered Accountants".....

The lady on the line paused after she introduced herself. She was probably expecting me to say something or she thought I would know the reason of her calling me but the only thought ran through my mind was "Hmm..Chartered Accountants?I don't think I have applied for any internship program offered by the institute.Why are you calling me in such an early morning?". An awkward silence for 2 seconds,I said "Uh-huh?",then she said "Congratulations! I am pleased to inform you that you have won the CA Overall Student Challenge in state level and have been selected as the state finalist for Victoria and Tasmania!"

WHAT?! I literally jumped off my bed!

"You will be flown to Sydney next week,have the opportunity to meet and network with high profile employers in the accounting industry,deliver a presentation to the judging panel and have a new suit especially fitted for you!"
the lady continued.

She then told me the details and quickly jotted down my email address so that she could send me the information by email. From the itinerary that I received,I know that I will definitely have an amazing time in Sydney,an experience that can never be bought with money! Later in the afternoon,someone from the Public Relation team gave me a call and we had a bit of chat about my experience so far in the competition so that it could be used by the local media's release.

I have never thought that Nicole and I would win the competition. I knew it's very competitive so I didn't aim to win it. I am actually happy enough that we were able to submit works of high quality within the time constraints. It has never ever crossed my mind that we could make it this far! State finalist,all paid expenses Sydney trip,2 nights stay at Shangri-La Hotel,dinner at Cafe Sydney at Circular Quay,1.5 k of corporate attire voucher,presentation skills workshop etc,it is surreal to be informed about all these in a day! Not sure if we could win the national round,but let's just hope for the best,and of course,I will do my very best. Good night! :)

The results of CA Student Challenge 2011:
www.studentchallenge.com.au/

2 comments:

  1. congratulation honey!!<3..oh wait..Qing Ai de!!=)))

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG YAN JUN!! AND YOU NEVER MENTIONED THIS WHEN YOU TEXTED ME?! WTH!

    A BIG FAT CONGRATULATIONS TO YOU MY DEAR FRIEND!! :D :D :D BEST WISHES TO YOU! Am sure you'll do so well and make the uni (and Victoria) proud! :)

    ReplyDelete